ELENA: European Local ENergy Assistance - more details
The Irish Regions Office has met with Representatives of DG TREN (Transport & Energy) to discuss the new ELENA (European Local ENergy Assistance) facility. This European Commission and the European Investment Bank joint initiative has been created to facilitate the mobilisation of funds for investments in sustainable energy at local level.
Financed through the Intelligent Energy-Europe programme, its annual budget of in the region of EUR15 million will parlt cover the cost of technical support and financial engineering necessary to prepare, implement and finance energy investment programmes or large-scale projects. Eligible actions include feasibility and market studies, structuring of programmes, business plans, energy audits, and preparation for tendering procedures. The objective is to increase experience in developing activities of a certain scale, expected to be above EUR 50 million in value. Small projects can be supported once they are integrated into larger investment programmes.
The following areas may avail of support:
1) public and private buildings, including social housing and street and traffic lighting, to support increased energy efficiency - e.g. refurbishment for decreasing energy consumption;
2) integration of renewable energy sources into the built environment - e.g. solar photovoltaic, solar thermal collectors and biomass;
3) renovation, extension or building new district heating/cooling networks, including networks based on combined heat and power (CHP); decentralised CHP systems (building or neighbourhood level);
4) urban transport to support increased energy efficiency and integration of renewable energy sources, e.g. energy efficiency buses, including hybrid buses, electrical or low-carbon propulsion systems, electric cars, freight logistics in urban areas; and
5) local infrastructure including smart grids, information and communication technology infrastructure for energy efficiency, energy-efficient urban equipment, inter-modal transport facilities and refueling infrastructure for alternative fuel vehicles.
No calls for proposals are involved. Applications are to be tabled directly and the funding will be dispersed on a first-come-first-served basis. ELENA supports the EU Covenant of Mayors pledge for local authority energy plans, but it is not restricted to its signatories.